Press Release: Personal Career Management offers advice for the rising number of people facing redundancy
Employee organisations are reporting that they are receiving more and more calls from people who feel they have been sacked unfairly, The Observer reported on Sunday.
Christine Pratt is chief executive of the National Bullying Helpline, which deals solely with work-related problems. she notes that “Employers are letting staff go and calling it redundancy but are failing to follow redundancy guidelines.”
She has it’s reported, received numerous calls from people laid off from small or medium-sized companies who feel that they have been mistreated. “They were told that they would be made redundant but redundancy procedures were not followed,” she said. “I think the government is going to see an increase in employment tribunal applications”
Corinne Mills is the founder of outplacement specialists Personal Career Management and author of the best selling CV book ‘You’re Hired, How To Write A Brilliant CV” has some key pieces advice for those facing redundancy.
- Know your rights. Check out the ACAS website www.acas.org.uk for information and/or speak to am employment lawyer
- Depersonalise. Try to retain good relations wherever possible with your previous employer, even if you disagree on some issues. You will still need a reference for your next job.
- Exit package. Don’t be afraid to negotiate and ask for more than they are initially prepared to give. You’ve nothing to lose.
- Outplacement support. Try to get this included in your exit package as help from a professional company such as Personal Career Management can make a huge difference to your job search success, especially in such a tough job market
- Plan your Finances. Work out your financial situation and make any necessary adjustments. Contact Jobcentre Plus for information on benefits, resources available etc
For more information about Corinne Mills and Personal Career Management go to www.personalcareermanagement.com
Personal Career Management Ltd was established By Corinne and Jonathan Mills in 2003. Working with both individuals and large corporations, the company helps individuals:
- Explore their career options to make informed career decisions
- Market their skills effectively to obtain the role they want
- Strategically plan their career and position themselves for future opportunities
- Meet current or recurring work-place challenges
And helps corporations:
- Facilitate positive exits for those whose future lies elsewhere
- Increase sales revenue through business coaching
- Improve the retention of key staff, skills and experience
- Enhance work performance and productivity